Friday, April 23, 2010

In A World of My Own: Alice (Alice in Wonderland)

In A World of My Own: Alice (Alice in Wonderland)

Name meaning: French, "Exalted nature"

Alice is either the most or the second-most popular children’s fantasy story in history (the rank is between Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz.)
Alice’s appearance, in my opinion, is too precious. With her spun-gold hair, rosy cheeks and spring-blue eyes, she looks like a painting on a china cup. Her attire of blue pinafore, hair bow and Mary Janes, while period-appropriate for a child, seems impractical for exploring Wonderland.
Featuring Mary Blair illustrations of Lewis Carroll’s impossible-to-forget characters, the film is a crayon-box colored gem of a film. I love the Disney Technicolor films of the 50’s for their artistry.
Alice is an imaginative, stubborn, fearless child. Her personality is sharply caught between the Victorian-era regulations of society and the youngster’s impetuosity.

Alice: Well, after this I should think nothing of falling down stairs.

Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. [laughs maniacally; starts to disappear]You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

Alice: It would be so nice if something would make sense for a change.

Alice: Well, when I was lost, I suppose it's good advice to stay where you are until someone finds you. But who'd ever think to look for me here? [sigh] Good advice. If I listened earlier, I wouldn't be here. But that's just the trouble with me. I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. .

Alice: Curiouser and curiouser.

Alice: But I didn't think...
March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
Alice: I can't put it any more clearly, sir, because it isn't clear to me.

Alice: In my world, the books would be nothing but pictures.

Alice: When I get home I shall write a book about this place.

Alice: Why, why you're a cat!
Cheshire Cat: A Cheshire Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment